

Board Meeting Minutes for 20 Nov 2019

Meeting called to order 18:46

Attendees:

mc3cats, Chris Brue, President. Merchandise Mgr
jtcoffee, Jessie Maxwell, Vice President
squirrel50, Deb Cox, Treasurer
Terrible Ts, Jim Tollefson, Secretary

Mr. Gadget #2, Gene Reed, Cache-cadians Chapter Rep
Winos_Seattle, Antoine Pin, Puget Sound Chapter Rep
crs98, Cliff Slaughterback, NEW 48 North Chapter Rep
bluecanoe, Erin Comstock, Olympic Penn Chapter Rep
TeamPAST, Patrick McColley, South Central Chapter Rep

PeachesandPete, Annette Bailes, Parks Liaison, Campout

Absent:

NepoKama, Mitch Eatough, Webmaster
Martin_5, Jerry Martin, IE Chapter Rep
SuperKnotts, Brian and Vickie Knott, SW Chapter Rep

Proxies:

Terrible Ts with SuprtKnots proxy
Squirell50 with Martin5 proxy

Visitors:

fairwoodwest

Item: July meeting minutes approved.

Item: September meeting minutes approved.

Item: Switching to Teams for board meetings. 7 Ayes, 2 Nays, 1 abstain

Item: Chapter Reports
No questions

Item: Membership and Treasures reports

<squirrel50> I would like to say that in the July minutes for the meeting that I was not here for, and I know that Patrick is driving right now he had some questions for me

<squirrel50> I want to make sure that if a chapter rep has any questions that they know

<squirrel50> they can email me any time and most of you should have my phone number as well

<squirrel50> I am here to help you and if I miss a meeting

<squirrel50> due to family or work I want to still assist you

<squirrel50> so we had some spare tracking numbers left over from Ape that were unused on coins

Gene> I do have a question for our chapter allotment I have not requested anything for 2019

<bluecanoe> same here. if not used, does the allotment roll over to the next year?

<crs98> The question I had is about the total expenses for 2019. Jim's report cut off the last column and so it wasn't clear what the total expenses were.

<Gene> it shows we only have \$91.71 for this year

<squirrel50> so first to Gene, the used funds I see in Jan were before I was treasurer, I will have to research what this is from

<squirrel50> it could take some time as I have zero receipts to work off of prior to April of this year

<squirrel50> as for what rolls over, zero rolls over, all funds left over roll back into the kitty of the WSGA

<squirrel50> and then

<squirrel50> I have to get with the VP

<squirrel50> and we get the chapter membership totals

<squirrel50> and everyone starts with what their membership total for the start of the year is

<squirrel50> so say you have 5 premium and 5 basic members in your chapter

<squirrel50> you would get 8 dollars per premium

<squirrel50> and 5 per basic

<squirrel50> that is your starting allocation

<Gene> I only made a request at the end of the year for our christmas party. this has been done ever since we have had chapter allotments

<TeamPAST> Bylaw 10.8.9 covers the rollover questions

<bluecanoe> thank you patrick

<squirrel50> do you remember what the fee was last year Gene, if you made it at the end of 2018 but she paid you in 2019 could be why she put it there?

<squirrel50> thank you patrick

<Mc3cats> Speaking for record keeping, I would like to point out that Deb has put in a ton of work getting our treasurer records in order since the change over from Broncos to her.

<crs98> Deb and Gene - just a guess, but perhaps the party Gene refers to happened in 2018 but the check was in 2019?

<squirrel50> that is what I said

<Mc3cats> Lets move on to the Membership report.

<Mc3cats> Any questions regarding membership?

<bluecanoe> im not sure I received it?

<jtcoffee> I wanted to put on the record that Deb and I have put plans in place to meet monthly and create revamped membership reports to send off to chapter reps, which will correspond with allotments. We're still in the process of the hand-over between she and I - it is typically a VP task, but she has still been doing it since it's so closely attached to \$

<Mc3cats> Yes, thank you Jessie. I am glad to see that the migration moves back over to the VP where it belongs.

<Mc3cats> Any further questions on membership, please email deb directly.

<TeamPAST> I dont think i saw a membership report either

<Mc3cats> Moving on to Chapter Reports.....

<bluecanoe> that would be wonderful. I just checked again, the only recent email from jim that I received was the minutes

<Terrible_Ts> I didn't get a membership report (unless I missed it)

<squirrel50> membership reports should come from the VP, all I do is count up who signed up and where

<squirrel50> and put them on the spreadsheet so each chapter get's their allocation

<squirrel50> the VP and treasurer report should match each month

<TeamPAST> Previously I had questions some of the member assingements and they still have not been corrected on the website but I am not sure if that is the source we can trust.

<Mc3cats> I do believe that membership is down a bit.

<Mc3cats> Tho I will say that we have signed up a number of folks during the GIFF event in Kent as well as Erins event in Silverdale....

<squirrel50> according to stripe membership renewals are down from 275 this time last year to 175 renewals this year, that does not mean that is how many members we have that are current

<jtcoffee> The plan Deb and I have involve cross-checking the website and the sales, so try to get at all of those issues

<Mc3cats> Gene, we can do membership renewals at your event in E. Wenatchee in December.

<squirrel50> as some are now renewing at events when we can get to them

<bluecanoe> did the issue with the renewal email get straightened out?

<Mc3cats> Patrick, I will want to do the same for you down in your chapter. We just need to set up a time, off line.

<Mc3cats> Erin, I personally got an email two weeks before my membership expired. I do beleive Jessie got one as well.

<Mc3cats> The key is to make sure that members update their profiles on our website.....

<bluecanoe> oh good! that's wonderful news

<Winos_Seattle> And me at my upcoming event in two weeks. WSGA Puget Sound Brain Teaser Month Session 3

<Winos_Seattle> GC8DTJ6

<Mc3cats> Reps will want to push membership. Remind folks to renew.

<Mc3cats> Antoine, at the Holiday party we typically have both a store set up as well as a renewal table.

<Mc3cats> I suspect we will get more with the change of the year. Just remember to promote WSGA membership at your events.

<bluecanoe> has there been a holiday event scheduled yet?

<jtcoffee> And find creative ways to find incentives for members at events :)

Item: Outreach

<Mc3cats> That moves us to Outreach.

<squirrel50> yup sure plenty of not much but I have a new thing up the outreach sleeve

<squirrel50> reaching out to the local police depts to start having one of their offices at our meet & greets
<Mc3cats> Cache Talk with A Cop?
<squirrel50> something like that but I don't like the word cop - they are our police and they protect us and the more they learn about our fun game
<squirrel50> the safer we are and the better for everyone
<crs98> Having them at the TriCities Mega event has always been a great idea.
<Mc3cats> The guy you want to talk to about doing meet n greets with local law enforcement is cacher RWA. He is a reitred police officer and would have some connections there. Not sure what force he was on but would be a good resource.
<bluecanoe> fun fact, I know for a fact that the Thurston county 911 responders have a currebt geocache map on their wall
<bluecanoe> same goes for team noltex
<squirrel50> Erin that is GREAT to know
<jtcoffee> Cool!
<Gene> You might be surprised how many law enforcement officer are geocachers. I have encountered a lot of them who are and more know about our game.
<squirrel50> yes like the one that helped me get a cache one time, but there are those that are new and unsure
<Mc3cats> I am thinking there would be an endless souce of meetings with various law enforcement you can do in Outreach.
<Winos_Seattle> @squirrel50 @mc3cats - I've got a connection with both the King County team and the King County K9 Search Team . They've recently asked if they could demo at one of our events
<squirrel50> Cliff that is good to know
<squirrel50> have them reach out to me please :)
<squirrel50> @winos-seattle
<Mc3cats> I do belive RWA said to me something about watch commanders holding regular meetings with their police force. Getting to a watch commander would be a key to holding outreach meetings with various law enforcement agencies.
<Winos_Seattle> King County ESAR is Kurt Zimmers (_SHADDOW_)

Item: Merchandise Report

<Mc3cats> I presented the board with my spreadsheet report on our merch sales for the last couple of weeks.....
<Mc3cats> We had a hit with our "BOO BOX" promotion. So, with that, we will be doing a Black Friday Promo....
<Mc3cats> Now, I wont spill the beans here, because anticipation is everything in Retail as Antoine will know. So, look for our social media blasts next week.
<bluecanoe> yay!
<Mc3cats> We will have some special items in during our Black Friday extravaganza!
<Mc3cats> 2019 member coins.....
<Mc3cats> We have been working hard on getting them out to our premium members....
<Mc3cats> I have had events in the IE, OP, PS and SW....so far.
<Mc3cats> Gene, you are next at your 12/7 event. Patrick, your chapter is in my crosshairs for the last one. Cliff, my proxies took care of your chapter a few weeks back.
<Mc3cats> If we can personally hand them to members, they get mailed....

<Mc3cats> Mailing these coins is NOT cheap. At over \$3.50 a pop, its expensive....
<crs98> Deb handed several of them out (including mine) at our events in Oct.
<squirrel50> I have a question for the chapters
<Mc3cats> This is setting things up for one of our main topics. I wont jump over to that yet, but lets just say, WE ARE LOSING SERIOUS FUNDAGE WITH PREMIUM MEMBER COINS. With that, I rest on merchandise. Questions? Comments?
<squirrel50> I have no questions on merch, but I do have a question for the chapters
<squirrel50> I have a question for the chapters
<Mc3cats> This is setting things up for one of our main topics. I wont jump over to that yet, but lets just say, WE ARE LOSING SERIOUS FUNDAGE WITH PREMIUM MEMBER COINS. With that, I rest on merchandise. Questions? Comments?
Mc3cats> Deb, you have the floor
<squirrel50> Thank you Chris, to the Chapters, the current way allocations go with the current membership and coins is a tough pull, I don't want to steal what the VP has coming up soon, but my question to you all is would you like to see a PIE CHART of where our funds go from our memberships?
Overwelling Yes response from the Chapter Reps.
<squirrel50> Ok I have it almost done I will have it in an email to everyone by 12/1
<Mc3cats> Deb, this is a fantastic idea. I think the reps need to see from the business side where every WSGA dollar from membership goes. It will add clarity to what our VP has to discuss later on.
<Mc3cats> Ok. folks. we will move off of Merch and move to Social Media. Madam VP, you have the floor.

Item: Social Media

<Mc3cats> Any questions for Jessie?
<jtcoffee> I have a question for the group - are social media reports valuable to you?
<Mc3cats> Just get ready for the Black Friday blast, Jessie.
<crs98> I enjoy seeing the overall numbers.
<bluecanoe> yes! absolutely! I love how they show how many people are seeing them
<squirrel50> I do as I think they are important over all who is really following us and what drives them to our site
<Mc3cats> Jessie has really kicked some tail on our social media posts.
<jtcoffee> Cool - glad to hear it. Just want to make sure they're what you all are interested in
<jtcoffee> :)
<Winos_Seattle> yes. and Jessie, what's the chances I can simply create an Instagram for Puget Sound? the way the Facebook page is set up for PG, really sucks
<Mc3cats> Social Media is really our main way of getting the word out.
<jtcoffee> Let's take that offline, Antoine.

Item: Ape 2020

<Mc3cats> Jessie continues to have the floor. Take it away! Whats cooking with Ape 2020????
<jtcoffee> I am operating off of the assumption that everyone has read the updates on the report, so I won't spend our time rehashing that. Does anyone have any questions regarding the list of updates?
<squirrel50> Jessie no questions your report looked great on the Ape 2020
<Mc3cats> I can not wait until we get the venue locked in!

<Terrible_Ts> One comment. Do people know about the facebook group 2020 Pacific Northwest Geocaching Celebration Community Group

<jtcoffee> Thanks! I will reiterate one thing that was in the notes: please encourage your members to consider volunteering for the event, especially if they have a 'been-there-done-that' attitude about it

<Terrible_Ts> I see people mentioning the Ape event in there.

<jtcoffee> I am a moderator of that group.

<squirrel50> thanks Jim did not know

Item: Getting off irc and using Teams:

<Mc3cats> I think I can speak for all of us that IRC = Internat Relay Chat is so 1990's. This is really not a way to conduct a meeting. We need to move into the 2000s folks....

<Mc3cats> We can shorten these meetings significantly and get a heck of a lot more done....

<Mc3cats> This is why we have been toying around with Microsoft Teams.....

<Mc3cats> My goal is to make this very meeting the LAST on IRC.

<Mc3cats> Teams is a much more efficient way to meet...

<Mc3cats> We have already worked with some of you on getting connected....

<bluecanoe> i think, for all of our mental healths, that is a remarkable idea

<Winos_Seattle> It would be nice....nice...to have them last max 1.5 hours

<Mc3cats> Gene, Patrick, Jerry and Erin, we need to get you folks connected.

<crs98> I'm happy to act as some tech support help for those of you who are having problems.

<Mc3cats> Gene, during your event, we plan to help you get connected. Trust me, it will be easier than typing and having multiple disconnections.

<bluecanoe> yes please. is it just a matter of adding an app? i had an app downloaded after the last meeting but then deleted it when we decided to go a different direction

<Winos_Seattle> Just an app dude

<Mc3cats> Patrick, you are a connected guy, I suspect you already use Teams so it should not be an issue for you.

<TeamPAST> We can give a try, who can I work with to setup federation with my tenant?

<Mc3cats> Erin, we can sync up at some point and get you dialed in.

<TeamPAST> Yes I have Team setup in my 365 tenant.

<Mc3cats> That leaves Jerry.

<bluecanoe> if i may make a request:if we are going to have a test meeting, can we please schedule it out at least a week?

<Mc3cats> There you go Patrick. It will be easy for you.

<Mc3cats> Erin, yes, there will be testing between now and January.

<TeamPAST> Like I mentioned above we just need to federate

<Mc3cats> I think I can speak for all of us that IRC = Internat Relay Chat is so 1990's. This is really not a way to conduct a meeting. We need to move into the 2000s folks....

<Mc3cats> We can shorten these meetings significantly and get a heck of a lot more done....

<Mc3cats> This is why we have been toying around with Microsoft Teams.....

<Mc3cats> My goal is to make this very meeting the LAST on IRC.

<Mc3cats> Teams is a much more efficient way to meet...

<Mc3cats> We have already worked with some of you on getting connected....

<bluecanoe> i think, for all of our mental healths, that is a remarkable idea

<Winos_Seattle> It would be nice....nice...to have them last max 1.5 hours

<Mc3cats> Gene, Patrick, Jerry and Erin, we need to get you folks connected.

<crs98> I'm happy to act as some tech support help for those of you who are having problems.

<Mc3cats> Gene, during your event, we plan to help you get connected. Trust me, it will be easier than typing and having multiple disconnections.

<bluecanoe> yes please. is it just a matter of adding an app? i had an app downloaded after the last meeting but then deleted it when we decided to go a different direction

<Winos_Seattle> Just an app dude

<Mc3cats> Patrick, you are a connected guy, I suspect you already use Teams so it should not be an issue for you.

<TeamPAST> We can give a try, who can I work with to setup federation with my tenant?

<Mc3cats> Erin, we can sync up at some point and get you dialed in.

<TeamPAST> Yes I have Team setup in my 365 tenant.

<Mc3cats> That leaves Jerry.

<bluecanoe> if i may make a request:if we are going to have a test meeting, can we please schedule it out at least a week?

<Mc3cats> There you go Patrick. It will be easy for you.

<Mc3cats> Erin, yes, there will be testing between now and January.

<TeamPAST> Like I mentioned above we just need to federate

<Mc3cats> I think we have a plan on recording and storing of the meeting minutes!

<Mc3cats> Ok, well we have some work to do between now and 1/15/20 which is our next meeting which will be on Teams. So, if you have not been synced up to Teams, we will be working with you to get that done.

<crs98> Chris, do we need a formal motion to move the January meeting to Teams?

<Mc3cats> Gene, as I said earlier, we will work with you in December.

<Mc3cats> Since we are not spending any organization funds, is a vote needed?

<Mc3cats> I will put it to the board.

<crs98> I'll defer to Patrick who is more in tune with the bylaws. The main thing I remember from glancing through them is that we need to announce the change to the membership.

<Mc3cats> If we were spending funds, yes. But since we are going a no frills, no expense route, not sure one is needed?

<Mc3cats> As announcements go, that will not change. We will use soc media about the change as well as on our website.

<jtcoffee> I think a Facebook post and an email to the members would be sufficient

<Mc3cats> I concur, Jessie.

<TeamPAST> There is nothing in the bylaws about the online method used for communication

<Gene> Let me play the devils advocate, Do you think we could be restricting any future person to take an active part with WSGA? what if someone has a desire but does not have the means to do all of this techy stuff. Say a new sec'y or a chapter rep

<squirrel50> the meeting change should be listed on the website with a link to our facebook page and the email as well

<crs98> As a member of principal, I don't think that votes of the board are restricted to just being about spending funds. Don't get me wrong I'm all in favor of this - I just want to make sure it's all on the record.

<Mc3cats> Cliff, I was thinking of putting this to the board as a general vote.

<Mc3cats> But I see Gene has a comment
<Winos_Seattle> Yeah. Agree @crs98. Let's just put it on the record and get on with it, please
<Mc3cats> Before we do, Gene has a comment.
<Mc3cats> from a Devils Advocate perspective.
<crs98> Gene - let me try and address your comment.
<crs98> From my perspective, this is unlikely and becoming less likely over time. If you are already requiring people to have access to a computer to attend the meetings that on IRC, it is not a significant cost expense to have one that supports video conferencing.
<crs98> It's somewhat difficult to buy a laptop that doesn't support it, and that's been true for a number of years.
<Gene> A majority our chapter member are senior citizen and a lot do not have the savvy of all of this new media things
<TeamPAST> 5.4 covers business meetings "meetings shall be held online or in person" Either meeting method is going to require cost, travel or equipment for communication.
<crs98> If you don't have a video camera on your current computer, you can purchase them for about \$20. Similarly inexpensive microphones are easy to purchase for even less and install as well.
<crs98> Personally, I think connecting via IRC is actually far more complicated than connecting with Teams.
<Mc3cats> I do believe on Teams you can go w/o video which makes the meeting more of a teleconference.
<Mc3cats> Therefore, you do not need a video camera for Teams. A microphone, yes.
<crs98> Chris is correct, though you will need a microphone to contribute via speech. You can actually type into the notes field without that ability as well.
<TeamPAST> You can do teleconference, you can also have a call in phone number but depending on your tenant that may be an additional cost.
<Winos_Seattle> I have an EXTRA CAMERA we can install on the 7th
<Gene> I know some folks do not and will not have anything to do with a camera on their computer. It's a privacy issue and there is a fear someone could possibly be spying on them.
<crs98> Fair enough Gene. If you purchase a computer without a built in camera, you can then unplug the camera at any time you like.
<jtcoffee> Thankfully, a camera is not critical
<Mc3cats> Very true. It's the microphone that really matters.
<Gene> That helps not having the camera, so a flip phone is all you would need. simple enough
<Mc3cats> But then again, if one is a conspiracy theorist and worried about being recorded by big brother, then that person would be wearing a tin foil hat and would not have a computer, cell phone, iPad or any other communicative device and likely be driving a 1975 Buick LaSaber without electronic fuel injection or any computers.
<Mc3cats> Point is, it's a techy world and there is no way of escaping it.
<jtcoffee> @crs98 mentioned above: You can actually type into the notes field without that ability as well.
<bluecanoe> *snort buik laSaber
<squirrel50> ok let's move on, do we need to vote on this
<Mc3cats> Lets put this to a vote....

<bluecanoe> yes, lets

<Mc3cats> We will need a motion

<jtcoffee> I move to hold our meetings on Microsoft Teams starting in January 2020

<crs98> 2nd

7 Ayes, 2 Nays, 1 Abstain

Item: Membership levels change.

Summary: Changing from a Basis/Premium model to a single membership level

The only difference between the two, is the Premium get a WSGA Geocoin

<jtcoffee> Ok. To sum up: we'd like to hear your thoughts on changing our membership offerings since our current system actually costs the WSGA money.

<jtcoffee> I am assuming again that everyone read the overview in the notes. Does anyone have any questions or did I miss anything on the overview of the suggested membership system?

<Mc3cats> Deb can interject here from the financial stand point

<squirrel50> which my PIE chart will help explain in a week or so

<TeamPAST> The breakdown of costs was discussed in a previous meeting and it was not costing WSGA money. When did that change?

<Mc3cats> In a nut shell, \$25 does not cover the cost of minting a coin and then mailing it out. There's not much meat on the bone after the costs of the coins are factored in, the cost of mailing and what's left goes to the chapter. Not much else is left. Raising membership fees to cover for this is at a point where it does not make financial sense. HQ charge

<Mc3cats> s \$30 a year for membership, That membership is bells and whistles. No coins. Just services. OUR premium membership direct costs associated with it...COINS. Minting coins has gotten expensive.

<Mc3cats> We are losing money handing out premium member coins. Yes we do get sell SOME to recoup our costs. But at the end of the day, it's a lose venture.

<Mc3cats> Therefore, we would have to RAISE premium membership to at a MINIMUM where HQ charges for their membership.

<jtcoffee> @teamPAST does that get at what you're wondering?

<Mc3cats> If you are an avid cacher, that's \$60 a year to feed your geocaching habit.

<bluecanoe> what if we don't hand out any but if they are a member, they get a discount?

<Mc3cats> Not sure a lot of people would be willing to pony up \$30 for us and 30 for HQ.

<squirrel50> Patrick, we don't even have \$25 to cover that coin, there is \$8 that goes to the chapter off of the top

<TeamPAST> I am just asking the question based on what we have discussed in the past.

<jtcoffee> @bluecanoe the new idea does not involve handing out a member coin

<Mc3cats> We would still mint yearly coins, but they would be for pure profit. No handing them out.

<crs98> @mc3cats - GIFF flashback Geocaching is free!

<https://youtu.be/AhpAbJEPU3o>

<squirrel50> my thought is that what the VP has in mind is a good plan, but my pie chart in a couple weeks will help make more sense for everyone and what she is doing

<bluecanoe> yes, but what i was saying is that in lue of, granting a discount on the purchase

<jtcoffee> @TeamPAST - I think it can be summed up that the actual cost of membership to the WSGA wasn't known.

<jtcoffee> Or, wasn't accurately understood

<TeamPAST> If you take away the main portion of the premium membership and shift costs for each by \$5 I think you are going to see another drop in renawls. One of the big selling points for poeple are the coins. Its really the only question I get about WSGA.

<jtcoffee> If we went with handing out coins, we'd need to make up the \$ in another way

<squirrel50> Patrick, I don't think Jessie proposed an increase

<squirrel50> in the premium

<Gene> What would our finances be if we just forgot the coin together and stuck with a basic membership. I have wsgamembers who do not want the coin so they simply pay the lesser amount.

<jtcoffee> Chris did - that is the confusion

<jtcoffee> @gene - that's basically the suggestion

<Mc3cats> At this point, we are not looking for any votes on this issue. We simply want to bring this up to the board that premium membership is not financially solvent in this current day and age of expensive tariffs on anything coming out of China, which is were all geocoins come from. Its not a cheap endeavor to mint coins and then not sell them for some

<Mc3cats> sort of profit.

<TeamPAST> Basics and premiums go away and all memberships are \$20 then additional family members are \$5

<bluecanoe> ok

<TeamPAST> Is this something that we should present to members and then bring their feedback back to the January meeting?

<jtcoffee> @teamPAST if we still included the coins we'd have to find another way to do a tradeoff. We could do something like eliminating the nametag, but that also has benefits and detriments

<crs98> I like Erin's idea though - I would propose that we look at offering the coin at cost (includes mailing expense) to WSGA members and then for a profit if you aren't one.

<Gene> If the coin is that impoetant to members lets mint so many and sell first come first serve. If the demand is for more the next minting we could increase the number.

<jtcoffee> @TeamPAST - I like that. See if you can garner as much feedback as you can, with concrete suggestions

<TeamPAST> The coin has been the closer for memberships here. People just dont see the benefit of WSGA.

<TeamPAST> Perhaps that issue is unique to this area

<jtcoffee> I would like the rest of the chapter reps to do a concerted effort in the same way - see if you can get some member feedback with concrete ideas/feedback

<bluecanoe> so we have to have a benefit. like raffle prizes, and early notification of events and offers

<squirrel50> Patrick that might be in some area's but recently we had a membership renewal at a GIFF they were all basic so each location is different I think

<TeamPAST> I will be meeting with a majority of our members the first week of decemeber so I will bring it up then and see what they say.

<Mc3cats> The point of this topic was to get folks thinking about changing membership. Any membership change WILL require a bylaws change. Again another reason for Teams which will make bylaw votes much easier. Anyway, we wanted to get the topic flowing and ideas out to our members about changing membership.

<Mc3cats> I think discussing this at future events is a great way to get the discussion going.

<Mc3cats> We definitely will not be voting on any membership changes at this time.

<Mc3cats> That will be at a later time. For now, talk to your constituents during your events.

<TeamPAST> One quick question on the memberships

<TeamPAST> The \$5 family option

<TeamPAST> is the for the entire family or per person

<Mc3cats> See what their thoughts are on saying good bye to premium membership in exchange for other perks like a real membership discount code for shopping our on store site.

<squirrel50> Patrick hold that thought until the Pie charts ok :)

<jtcoffee> \$5 per name tag

<TeamPAST> So a family of 4 would be \$35

<jtcoffee> If everyone wanted a nametag

<Mc3cats> so that you can buy the current year's coin if you are a coin hound.

<jtcoffee> \$20 = membership, one name tag. Anyone else in the family who wanted their own nametag would be an additional \$5

<TeamPAST> Cost is ok for one or two people but when you starting adding kids that gets really expensive

<jtcoffee> Nametags are expensive to make - I don't remember exactly their cost, but if memory serves, they're nearly \$4 a piece to make

<Mc3cats> I think the badge prices would be a subject for debate. Basically we have to cover the cost of materials as well as mailing for the extra badges. I do think we need to look at our per unit costs on making one badge and then factor in mailing. Ok, if no other comments, we will carry this topic for the next meeting.

<Mc3cats> If nothing more, its members comment period.

<Gene> Chris, I have a request for Jim, this will cause him extra work, It would be nice to have a draft copy of our minutes soon after our meeting. There is no way I can recall what was said or discussed if we have an event between board meetings.

<Terrible_Ts> I will commit to having them out by Sunday night. the 24th

Meeting adjourned at 9:37 PM

Summary of Reports for 20 Nov 2019

Financial Report by squirrel50

2019 WSGA Income	Membershi p	Merch Sales	Campout	Ape Weekend	Misc	donations	TOTAL
January	\$1,085.00	\$351.00			\$274.01		\$1,710.01
February	\$590.00	\$257.98					\$847.98
March	\$590.00	\$133.45					\$723.45
April	\$340.00	\$452.40			\$2,600.00	\$10.00	\$3,402.40
May	\$65.00	\$184.70		\$1,005.00			\$1,254.70
June	\$265.00	\$384.00		\$2,775.00	\$40.00		\$3,464.00
July	\$237.50	\$805.65		\$560.00			\$1,603.15
August	\$325.00	\$325.05		\$3,084.91	\$833.00		\$4,567.96
September	\$25.00	\$76.00					\$101.00
October	\$105.00	\$337.00		\$2,727.20			\$3,169.20
November							\$0.00
December							\$0.00
TOTALS	\$3,627.50	\$3,307.23	\$0.00	\$10,152.11	\$3,747.01		\$20,843.85

2019 Expense s	USPS	Ofc Suppli es	Intern et	Stripe fees	Dues/ licenses	Merch Orders	Campo ut	APE Event	GeoTou r	Sma ll Gra nt	Misc .	C A
January	\$15.99			\$63.23								
Februar y	\$80.96			\$35.22	\$32.66			\$700.00				
March	\$15.99			\$30.48				\$408.40				

April		\$68.9 0		\$29.5 6	\$24.29			\$330.0 0	\$1,950. 00			\$
May				\$41.8 6				\$1,275. 00	\$600.0 0			\$
June	\$184. 00	\$150. 00		\$150. 97				\$1,050. 00				\$
July			\$79.0 0	\$55.8 9				\$5,642. 50			\$85. 00	\$
August	\$160. 00			\$150. 00								\$
Septem ber				\$11.5 2		\$2,495. 00						
October			\$197. 00	\$19.2 6								
Novemb er												
Decemb er												
TOTALS	\$456. 94	\$218. 90	\$276. 00	\$587. 99	\$56.95	\$2,495. 00	\$0.00	\$9,405. 90	\$2,550. 00	\$0.0 0	\$85. 00	\$

Chapter Allocations & Payouts

2019 Chapter Allocations (Paid Out)	Puget Sound	48 North	Olympic Peninsula	Cache-Cadian	Inland Empire	Southwest	South Central
January	\$384.00	\$241.06	\$110.10	\$302.29			
February					\$13.78		
March		-\$153.00			\$15.85		
April						\$63.87	
May	\$120.00				\$50.00		
June		\$116.71				\$75.00	
July							
August						\$68.48	\$101.62
September							
October							
November							
December							
Used to date	\$504.00	\$204.77	\$110.10	\$302.29	\$79.638.50	\$207.35	\$101.62

	Puget Sound	48 North	Olympic Peninsula	Cache-Cadian	Inland Empire	Southwest	South Central
Carryover Funds	\$406.02	\$320.00	\$298.00	\$313.00	\$152.30	\$62.35	\$128.91
2019 Start Total	\$255.50	\$133.50	\$32.00	\$65.00	\$73.00	\$40.00	\$12.50
March Additonal Funds	\$126.50	\$124.00	\$32.00	\$16.00	\$153.00	\$84.50	\$36.50
April Additional Funds	\$44.50	\$8.00	\$8.00	\$0.00	\$8.00	\$24.00	\$16.00
May Additional Funds	\$16.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$4.50	\$0.00
June Additional Funds	\$65.00	\$33.00	\$32.00	\$8.00	\$0.00	\$16.00	\$0.00
July Additonal Funds	\$37.50	\$8.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00
August Additional Funds	\$24.00	\$9.00	\$20.50	\$8.00	\$12.50	\$17.00	\$20.50
September Additional Funds	\$8.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00

October Additional Funds	\$17.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00
November Additional Funds	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00
December Additional Funds	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00
Used	\$504.00	\$204.77	\$110.10	\$302.29	\$79.63	\$207.35	\$101.62
Remaining Funds	\$345.52	\$380.73	\$251.90	\$91.71	\$298.67	-\$16.00	\$76.29

VP/Social Media
Report by jtcoffee



Vice Presidents' Report

November 2019

Social Media

Facebook

Published	Post	Type	Targeting	Reach	Engagement	Promote		
11/12/2019 10:26 AM	 Woo hoo! A new souvenir!			757		154 36		Boost Post
11/05/2019 11:00 AM	 It's almost time for the annual #GIFF! Have you logged your Will Attend to a			665		61 24		Boost Post
10/31/2019 8:23 AM	 Introducing WSGA's first mystery boo-box! Each box contains two			741		53 27		Boost Post
10/30/2019 12:12 PM	 A Halloween sale is loooooooming - stay tuned for more news tomorrow!			521		8 5		Boost Post
10/26/2019 10:28 PM	 Check out this cool new opportunity in our state!			664		89 25		Boost Post
10/15/2019 10:55 AM	 Souvenirs are digital art awarded for certain #geocaching achievements.			639		74 14		Boost Post
10/10/2019 8:59 PM	 Great news - EarthCaches will be visible to all geocacher profiles this			613		39 19		Boost Post
10/07/2019 9:00 AM	 When you get a notification there is a new cache published, do you:			767		57 21		Boost Post
10/04/2019 10:00 AM	 Get ready! Intranational EarthCache Day celebration is October 12-13! If			741		34 26		Boost Post
10/01/2019 9:05 PM	 Our store is back online! Stay tuned for some upcoming holiday sales!			520		24 17		Boost Post

Currently at 2374 followers, up from 2346 in September.

For discussion: Is anyone interested in anything in particular with the social media reports? Are they of value?

Ape 2020 prep:

We are in consistent communication with the Ski Lodge to see if we can find an arrangement that will

When you are speaking to your members about the progress of the planning, please encourage them to consider volunteering for the event. We will need many – perhaps 200 – volunteers to make this event run.

Mark Clemens has joined the planning team, and is working on the graphic portfolio for the event. We have started conversations with Snag the Tag to build the Spot the Ape 2020 game.

Membership Proposal

We have received feedback over time that the current membership offerings are confusing. They also are not accurately priced to cover coin and operational costs. To improve this, here is a new proposal for a membership system:

- There is one membership level, replacing the ‘basic’ and ‘premium’ levels. Therefore, people would either be Members, or not.
- Membership would be \$20 annually. Memberships would not be calendar-years, but would expire a year after they were purchased.
- The breakdown of the dollar allocation would be as indicated below:



Operations covers things like Stripe Fees, web hosting, coin creation, etc.

- All extra name badges can be purchased for \$5 for family memberships.
- If approved, this new system would go into effect Oct 2020. Memberships purchased until then will still have access to the tiers and will still receive a coin if they opt for our current Premium Membership.
- The WSGA will still create annual trackable items for sale in the shop, but they will not be included in membership.

2020 Elections

Outreach

Report by squirrel150

From the WSGA Outreach Coordinator

This area has been very slow this year now, and so I have decided to change it up and get the WSGA involved in some community things.

I have been talking to the GEOregon folks on how they have held events around the Portland Metropolitan area with the local PD invited and so I have been reaching out to a few agencies around the PS area to see if any of them would like to attend and meet the caches and see what we are all about and caching is and what a container should and should not look like.

I am looking to hold some events hosted by the WSGA Outreach starting in 2020 after the holidays have come and gone.

If anyone is interested in learning more please reach out to me

Thank you Deb C
WSGA Treasurer

Merchandise

Report by mc3cats

SEPTEMBER 1 - N

Product Title	Iter
2019 Ape X Vinyl Trackable Stickers	

Chapter Activities

[WSGA 48 North CITO at Birch Bay State Park](#) (Oct 26th) – our fall CITO event was held in the morning at Birch Bay State Park where the staff had our group cleaning out invasive species (Himalayan blackberry) along the beach and in one area of the campground. The event was logged by 13 caching teams and I would guess about twenty cachers were in attendance.

[WSGA 48 North Meet and Greet in Ferndale](#) (Oct 26th) – we followed up the morning CITO event in downtown Ferndale alongside several thousand trick or treaters who converged on the downtown area for the community Halloween event. 16 caching teams logged attendance at the event, but there were at least 30 people in attendance at the group of tables we cornered in the front of FrinGe Brewing. At the meet and greet event, several attendees and I spent a considerable amount of time working with a 15-year old Eagle Scout candidate who has proposed doing a Cache to Eagle series in the Lynden area. It's a great idea, but also one that is likely to get an immense amount of traffic next summer as it's a stone's throw away from GeoWoodstock in Abbotsford. The scout is not an experienced cacher and so we really want to work with him to make sure that this series is able to stand up to the hordes that will be here next summer. I've partnered him with a more experienced cacher from Lynden (also a former assistant Scout Master) who volunteered to help mentor him.

Upcoming Chapter Events

- [**WSGA 48 North Holiday Hoopla X**](#) – **our tenth annual Holiday event is scheduled for December 15, 2019 in Marysville. Past events have been great successes and a lot of people have said they are looking forward to attending as they log their intentions to come.**
- Following the decision last meeting to plan on the WSGA campout happening midweek between the Going Ape Event and GeoWoodstock, I contacted the rangers at Cama Beach State Park (who were already booked) but was able to book the group camp area for August 19th at Camano Island State Park for next year's WSGA campout. Please put it on your calendar for next summer.

Upcoming Local Area Events

[Cider Pressing](#) (Nov 22) by paisleykmt

[Oak Harbor Parks - Fireside Park](#) (CITO event Nov 30) by ebaben3

[Ride Bikes! #38: Interurban North II](#) (Dec 8) by gsbarnes

[***New Years DAY 2020 Event in Snohomish \(Jan 1\) by WatchDOGSMike***](#)

Cache-Cadian Chapter Report by Mr. Gadget #2

Below is a list of events.

Gene

8-10-19 GC8B5E6	A Tunk Valley Meet and Greet
9-28-19 GC8BZYK	12 Annual To Wheat To Eat
10-24-19 GC8EAD3K	2 nd Annual A Cachecadian Senior Not So Spooky Gathering
11-10-19 GC8EKJH	Not Quite Last Minute GIFF

Inland Empire Chapter Report

Inland Empire Chapter Report
November 18, 2019
by Jerry Martin (Martin 5)

Past Chapter Events:

10/31/2019
Cave Trick-or-Treat #4
GC8E3EJ
12 Attendees

11/09/2019
Meet the WSGA Executive Board
GC8EZ9F
Approximately 20 Attendees

Upcoming Chapter Events:

11/30/2019
IE Chapter Fall CITO
GC8G1MM
Dishman Hills Conservation Area, Spokane

Upcoming Area Events:

12/01/2019
Nov-END-ber #5
GC8G54V by Martin 5
Pizza Hut, Coeur d'Alene

12/07/2019
Santa's Wrecked his Reindeer!
GC8FYQH by KC7DQM
Cache Cave, Spokane Valley

Chapter News:

We are currently in the planning phase for our annual IE Chapter Christmas Party event for December AND our annual Winter Party event for February 2020. More information to come as soon as the venue details for both events are finalized.

Thank you to WSGA President Chris Brue (Mc3Cats), Vice-President Jessie Maxwell (JTCoffee) and Treasurer Deb Cox (Squirrel50) for visiting the IE Chapter a couple of weekends ago. It was nice having you stop by our side of the state for a visit.

South Central Chapter Report By Patrick McColley (TeamPAST)

South Central Chapter Report
November 2019
By Patrick McColley (TeamPAST)

Past Chapter Events

GC8CY01 - WSGA Unpuzzle Session 10/16/2019

We had 12 people show up for this puzzle solving event, a few of the local puzzle cachers wanted to get an event together to work on solving some more difficult puzzle caches as a collective. Cachers obtained cache owner permission as recommended by the reviewer prior to group discussions. Three very difficult puzzles were solved as a result of the event.

GC8DJ02 - Geocaching International Film Festival 2019 11/16/2019

Twenty cachers came out for our annual GIFF event and potluck. Attendees really seemed to enjoy the selection of videos this year. Everyone was really into the reel when the last video was over and they were all expecting more.

Future Chapter Events

Working on a holiday event.

Area Events

FUTURE

PAST

GC8DJH5 – Koffee Klatch - 10/1

AndrewsDK recently moved to the area and decided to hold an event to gather up cachers for coffee and conversation. There were nearly 20 cachers that stopped by to say hello.

GC8F43H – Picky's Pasco Pass-through

This event was hosted by a cacher from the east while out visiting college campuses. There were 11 people in attendance

SC Chapter News

No new news to report

Puget Sound Chapter Report by Winos_Seattle

No report submitted.

Olympic Peninsula Chapter Report by blue canoe

No report submitted.

South West Chapter Report by SuperKnots

Southwest Chapter Report
by Vickie Knott

PAST EVENTS

10/26

GC8DRPR - Its All About The Trackables

25 attended, SW Premium members received there 2019 coins. Event was received well. Many cachers brought coins, tags, etc to be discovered. Chris B. Brought WSGA merch. There was a raffle for attendees.

11/9

GC8D8DB - 2019 SW GIFF Event

20 attended. GEOregon had there GIFF the same day. Event was at Longview Public Library. If we do next years GIFF we plan to have it at a venue that allows snacks and drinks. We had a raffle for attendees.

Upcoming Event

12/14

GC8FTRY - 2019 Holidaze Party (holiday event).

Same as last years event. We plant to have a Geocoin exchange. White Elephant(5.00-10.00) as well as a small raffle. We hope to see you there.

Vickie Knott

Southwest Chapter

Parks Liaison Reports by Peaches (of Peaches&Pete)

No report submitted

Campout Director Reports by Peaches (of Peaches&Pete)

No report submitted.

