Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WA State Parks Centennial GeoTour!, 100 caches in 100 parks to celebrate 100 years
hydnsek
post Jun 7 2013, 02:32 AM
Post #1

President

Group: Individual Member
Member No.: 180
Chapter: Puget Sound
Expires: 12/31/2014

On your mark, get set, go! Friday, June 7 is the launch of the Washington State Parks Centennial GeoTour, a statewide challenge featuring 100 new caches placed on 100 State Park properties. Once you've found 50 or 100 GeoTour caches, you are eligible for a special geocoin.

The GeoTour celebrates the 100th anniversary of Washington State Parks, and is co-sponsored by WSGA and the State Parks, with the support of Groundspeak. More than 70 WSGA members helped create the GeoTour and place caches - the largest project the club has ever done. The GeoTour is part of the new collaboration between the State Parks and WSGA, and we hope you enjoy the caching tour of our State Parks!

Get the full details on the GeoTour, including the eight kickoff events are being held around the state this weekend.

--------------------
Not all those who wander are lost.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr. Gadget #2
post Jul 6 2013, 07:04 AM
Post #2

WSGA - Chapter Rep (Cache Cadia)

Group: Family Member
Member No.: 235
Chapter: Cache-cadia

It has been a very busy tight schedule in our camp getting to everything and include doing the challenge of concouring 50 and then 100 state parks. I was not the first to reach either the 50 or the 100 mark but I do believe I was the first to get to all 103 plus logging the challelnge cache by RDR.
It will take a bit of work to figure up how many miles, how much fuel, the ferry rides it took to finish finding all 103 of the State Parks whth the new cache hides on July 4th. I was almost done on the July 3rd but one multli cache had a missing waypoint container. Thanks to a PAF and a hint I drove back and found that final stamp.

There are so many people that need a big thank you for playing a part putting this challenge in motion Thank you to all of the cache owners who did nice job of placing the caches in all of the 103 State Parks, No make it 100, I am not thanking myself for the three I placed. Then thanks to those who hosted the eight kickoff events, I am sure they were well attended.
But the biggies THANK YOU's are to Abby and Phil. We do not have a guess to how many hours Abby has spent working night and day on this huge project. Phil, you have do so much assisting and organizing the logistical aspect plus all of the extra help you did to help folks like me getting the cache page in unity. And Last we need to thank those from the other side the Washington State Park Staff. Tina thank you, and then all of the local State Park Managers where the caches are placed, The few I have personnaly talked with were extremely excited being a part of the geo tour.
Mr. Gadget #2

+Quote Post
TheWinterTrio
post Jul 10 2013, 08:11 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,296
Chapter: 48 North

Can we get a regular update on how many of the coins have been claimed?

-S

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Jul 11 2013, 12:13 AM
Post #4

President

Gene - Thanks for your wonderful comments; the GeoTour staff really appreciates them! biggrin.gif

Stephen - I'll update this thread (and our Facebook page) periodically with finishers, although the 50-Cache Challenge page is the designated spot for the list of finishers of both 50 and 100 caches.

As of Tuesday, July 9, one month into the GeoTour, Ranger Tina had recorded 29 Silver and 3 Gold coin finishers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rey del Roble
post Jul 11 2013, 06:08 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 255

QUOTE (hydnsek @ Jul 11 2013, 01:13 AM) *
Gene - Thanks for your wonderful comments; the GeoTour staff really appreciates them! biggrin.gif

Stephen - I'll update this thread (and our Facebook page) periodically with finishers, although the 50-Cache Challenge page is the designated spot for the list of finishers of both 50 and 100 caches.

As of Tuesday, July 9, one month into the GeoTour, Ranger Tina had recorded 29 Silver and 3 Gold coin finishers.

PAGE IS UPDATED ON THE 50 CACHE CHALLENGE.

--------------------
Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of
jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

+Quote Post
TheWinterTrio
post Jul 11 2013, 09:43 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the quick reply!

Another question... Do we need to get the stamps off our own caches, or can we just write "owner" on them? I'm sure I'll be going past mine at some point, but they aren't in my normal stomping grounds...

-S

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Jul 11 2013, 10:20 PM
Post #7

President

QUOTE (TheWinterTrio @ Jul 11 2013, 10:43 PM) *
Thanks for the quick reply!

Another question... Do we need to get the stamps off our own caches, or can we just write "owner" on them? I'm sure I'll be going past mine at some point, but they aren't in my normal stomping grounds...

-S

Great question / suggestion - one we hadn't thought of (doh!).

Cache owners so far are visiting their caches (good excuse to check on them) and stamping the boxes for their own caches.

I checked with Ranger Tina, who does the verifications, and she's fine with that - so, if you haven't already revisited your caches to get the stamps, you can write "owner" in the box(es) for your cache(s) on the passport. Remember: One owned cache can count for silver (50), and any others for gold (100).

--------------------

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Jul 11 2013, 11:15 PM
Post #8

President

Ranger Tina just sent me this wonderful commentary plus a moving testimonial from a participant.

To all who put so much effort into creating, organizing and implementing our 100 geocaches in 100 parks to celebrate 100 years, here is a very touching letter. The program is so popular and there are many wonderful comments. Sometimes a simple thing - a game and a celebration started by a small idea can have greater impacts than we imagine. I hope this letter shows the magic you helped create for people. It could not have happened without your time and great contributions. Thank you, Tina

--------------------

+Quote Post
Peach&Pete
post Jul 14 2013, 01:30 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,222

QUOTE (hydnsek @ Jul 12 2013, 12:15 AM) *
Ranger Tina just sent me this wonderful commentary plus a moving testimonial from a participant.

To all who put so much effort into creating, organizing and implementing our 100 geocaches in 100 parks to celebrate 100 years, here is a very touching letter. The program is so popular and there are many wonderful comments. Sometimes a simple thing - a game and a celebration started by a small idea can have greater impacts than we imagine. I hope this letter shows the magic you helped create for people. It could not have happened without your time and great contributions. Thank you, Tina

Regarding the person's question above, I notice in the 2-page "Rules" that you can print from the announcement about this GeoTour, under "Passports" it states "If you placed cache(s) for the GeoTour, you may claim one for the 50-cache coin by stamping the appropriate box on your passport. For the 100-cache coin, you may claim up to three GeoTour hides, but the additional caches must be claimed after you pass the 50-cache mark."

I also have a questions for you or someone - My husband and I are working on our 50-cache prize, and I just noticed that I stamped "Lewis & Clark" in the box where it says "Lewis & Clark Trail" right next to it. I drew an arrow there to indicate the name for that stamp. Do you think that will negate that particular stamp in my quest of 50 parks? I do plan on working later for the 100-park cache, but we know it wil be next year before we finish that achievement.

We have enjoyed this series so very much, and know it is very beneficial for both the Washington State Parks and WSGA. I am grateful for all those that worked so hard to bring this special GeoTour to fruition.

Have a wonderful summer!
Annette Bailes of Peach&Pete

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Jul 14 2013, 10:52 PM
Post #10

President

QUOTE (Peach&Pete @ Jul 14 2013, 02:30 PM) *
My husband and I are working on our 50-cache prize, and I just noticed that I stamped "Lewis & Clark" in the box where it says "Lewis & Clark Trail" right next to it. I drew an arrow there to indicate the name for that stamp. Do you think that will negate that particular stamp in my quest of 50 parks?

Glad you are enjoying the GeoTour! No worries about stamping wrong box by accident; it won't invalidate your passport. Just draw an arrow to the box where it should go; and switch the box labels to match (for when you stamp the other park). Ranger Tina has already approved one passport with the right stamp in the wrong park box, so it's all good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dougsea
post Jul 21 2013, 06:16 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 802

Hi, I am having a great time revisiting some state parks, seeing the new ones and even parts of previously visited that I never had been in.
So thank you again to everyone who put the effort so we could have this fun summer adventure. Due to my work schedule I won't hit 50 until next weekend.
Doug laugh.gif

+Quote Post
TheWinterTrio
post Jul 21 2013, 06:50 PM
Post #12

Hi Abby,

What is the chance of creating a couple "souvenir" type graphics similar to the two different coin options that people could add to their gc.com profile page? Similar to the EarthCache graphics you can download for the "Discovery Awards". A silver graphic could have "50 park finds" on it somewhere and then a Gold version would say "100 park finds". I would love to be able to add these to my profile when I hit 50 and if I hit 100..

-Stephen

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Sep 12 2013, 07:01 PM
Post #13

President

QUOTE (TheWinterTrio @ Jul 21 2013, 07:50 PM) *
Hi Abby,

What is the chance of creating a couple "souvenir" type graphics similar to the two different coin options that people could add to their gc.com profile page? Similar to the EarthCache graphics you can download for the "Discovery Awards". A silver graphic could have "50 park finds" on it somewhere and then a Gold version would say "100 park finds". I would love to be able to add these to my profile when I hit 50 and if I hit 100..

-Stephen

I asked Ranger Tina about this a while back, and she was fine with it but wanted to check with State Parks management. In the summer rush of activities and visitors, I don't think it's progressed any further. This fall, hopefully the parks will be able to take a breather and look at this idea. NepoKama could quickly do the graphics if we get the go-ahead.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Sep 16 2013, 05:11 PM
Post #14

President

QUOTE (dougsea @ Jul 21 2013, 07:16 AM) *
Hi, I am having a great time revisiting some state parks, seeing the new ones and even parts of previously visited that I never had been in.
So thank you again to everyone who put the effort so we could have this fun summer adventure. Due to my work schedule I won't hit 50 until next weekend.
Doug laugh.gif

Thanks for the kind words, Doug, and glad you've enjoyed the State Parks GeoTour! Here are all the great folks who made the GeoTour happen. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 10:57 PM