Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WA State Parks Centennial GeoTour!, 100 caches in 100 parks to celebrate 100 years
hydnsek
post Jun 7 2013, 01:28 AM
Post #1

President

Group: Individual Member
Member No.: 180
Chapter: Puget Sound
Expires: 12/31/2015

2013 is the 100th anniversary of Washington State Parks, and we're celebrating with the Washington State Parks Centennial GeoTour, a statewide challenge featuring 100 new caches placed on 100 State Park properties. The GeoTour, which kicks off Friday, June 7, is co-sponsored by WSGA and the State Parks, with the support of Groundspeak.

Each GeoTour cache contains a unique ink stamp for recording your find in a GeoTour passport. Once you've found 50 or 100 GeoTour caches, you can submit the passport for a special geocoin.

Key web pages:
  • GeoTour page complete list of eligible caches. (There are 103 caches, but you only need to find 100 to complete the GeoTour.) You can download a GPX file of all the GeoTour caches by clicking the "Download this GeoTour" link on this page. All GeoTour caches have the series name "WaStatePks100" to help you identify them.
  • State Parks page download the GeoTour docs: passport, guidelines, and map. (Or you can download them below.)

The GeoTour docs (PDF):
  • Passport for verifying your finds to qualify for a geocoin.
  • Guidelines full details and requirements.
  • Park map shows the 103 participating parks across the state.

Geocoin: The GeoTour coin has the State Parks logo on one side and the WSGA logo on the other, signifying our partnership. The coin has two versions, silver for completing half the GeoTour (50 caches) and gold for finishing the entire GeoTour (100 caches).
- For the first year (2013), we minted 180 antique silver coins, and 32 satin gold coins. Centennial design.
- For the second year (2014), we minted 200 antique silver coins and 50 satin gold coins. Revised design.

Challenge caches: For added geo-fun, there are two challenge caches related to the State Parks GeoTour. (These caches are not part of the passport series and don't count toward the geocoin.)
  • Find 50 of the GeoTour caches and you can claim the WaStatePks100: 50-Cache Challenge (GC47F89), located at Camano Island State Park.
  • Find 100 caches in Washington state parks (not limited to GeoTour caches), and claim the Washington State Parks Challenge (GC48635), located at Larrabee, the oldest state park.

Duration: The GeoTour launches June 7, 2013, and will continue until all coins are distributed (12 years). Individual caches may remain in place longer at the parks' discretion.

Discover Pass: Most Washington State Parks require a Discover Pass for parking.

Kickoff events: We hosted eight kickoff events around the state on June 6-9, 2013, so that folks could learn more about the GeoTour and pick up their passports and other goodies. Those were free days at the State Parks in honor of National Trails Day, so no Discover Passes were required for parking. All the events had some cool stuff planned, and we had a great turnout.

It takes a village: A project of this magnitude requires months of effort by a large cast, much of it behind the scenes, and both WSGA and the State Parks really came through, with Groundspeak as a supporting sponsor. The project managers were Abby Wolfe (hydnsek) and Tina Dinzl-Pederson (Ranger Tina), ably assisted by key personnel on both sides, including WSGA's PhilNi and NepoKama. More than 70 WSGA members participated in placing caches and organizing the kickoff events. An equal number of State Parks personnel were involved, from managers in Olympia to individual park personnel. And Groundspeak's contributions were equally important, involving several Groundspeak lackeys for different phases, including Rock Rabbit and MissJenn.

We hope you enjoy the caching tour of Washington State Parks!

--------------------
Not all those who wander are lost.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Sep 16 2013, 02:19 PM
Post #2

President

This week's Groundspeak e-newsletter (9/16/13) has a promo piece on the State Parks GeoTour, which they asked me to contribute. If you receive the newsletter, the email subject is "How to Bring Your Geocaching A Game."

--------------------

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Nov 4 2013, 10:33 PM
Post #3

President

Many state parks have closed for the winter, but if you're working on the GeoTour, have no fear.

Official statement from the State Parks: "Geocachers can continue to access closed parks by walking in; access will continue to be allowed." Foot access includes trails, day-use and camp areas, boating and recreation sites, etc.

All caches will therefore remain active year-round, even in snow (hey, if the CO can snowshoe six miles to the Mt Pilchuck cache, you can too! wink.gif).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Geomomrockz
post Feb 18 2014, 07:30 AM
Post #4

Group: Family Member
Member No.: 2,198
Chapter: Inland Empire
Expires: 12/31/2014

Does anyone know how many of the silver coins are still available? The latest update of finishers I could find on the WA State Parks website was dated September 25, 2013. And on a side note, the link to the Wa State Park Geo Tour that shows on the geocaching.com geo tour page doesn't work any longer since the Wa State Parks launched an updated website after the new year. I had to search for geo tour from the Wa State Park home page.

+Quote Post
Papa Ski
post Feb 18 2014, 11:08 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,286

QUOTE (Geomomrockz @ Feb 18 2014, 07:30 AM) *
Does anyone know how many of the silver coins are still available? The latest update of finishers I could find on the WA State Parks website was dated September 25, 2013. And on a side note, the link to the Wa State Park Geo Tour that shows on the geocaching.com geo tour page doesn't work any longer since the Wa State Parks launched an updated website after the new year. I had to search for geo tour from the Wa State Park home page.

The updated thread can be found here: http://www.wsgaonline.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=928

As of 1/21/14 37 coins were still available.

--------------------
Papa Ski

"I am a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down. -Abraham Lincoln

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Feb 18 2014, 02:08 PM
Post #6

President

QUOTE (Papa Ski @ Feb 18 2014, 11:08 AM) *
QUOTE (Geomomrockz @ Feb 18 2014, 07:30 AM) *

The updated thread can be found here: http://www.wsgaonline.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=928

As of 1/21/14 37 coins were still available.

Papa Ski is on the money - we maintain a current list of finishers, available coins, and GeoTour statistics in this thread, and it's updated monthly. We indeed have 37 Silver coins still available. We also post periodic updates on the WSGA Facebook page.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Feb 22 2014, 01:53 AM
Post #7

President

Washington State Parks has launched its new website, and the Activities menu (top of page) has an entire section on Geocaching. Sweet!

Here's the new GeoTour guidelines page.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Papa Ski
post Feb 23 2014, 08:46 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,286

QUOTE (hydnsek @ Feb 22 2014, 01:53 AM) *
Washington State Parks has launched its new website, and the Activities menu (top of page) has an entire section on Geocaching. Sweet!

Cache owners of the GeoTour caches should check their cache pages. Many of the photos and links listed on the cache pages are no longer functioning.

--------------------
Papa Ski

"I am a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down. -Abraham Lincoln

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Feb 23 2014, 09:22 PM
Post #9

President

QUOTE (Papa Ski @ Feb 23 2014, 08:46 PM) *
QUOTE (hydnsek @ Feb 22 2014, 01:53 AM) *

Cache owners of the GeoTour caches should check their cache pages. Many of the photos and links listed on the cache pages are no longer functioning.

Yep, we know. All the GeoTour cache owners got a note with the details of what needs fixing. Some pages are already updated, others are in the works.

Also a good reminder for anyone who is linking to a State Parks page from anyplace - your links are likely dead. Not sure why they didn't put redirects in place to minimize this.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 03:02 PM