Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Announcing: WA State Parks Centennial GeoTour, Help place "100 caches in 100 parks for 100 years"
hydnsek
post Jan 29 2013, 04:27 AM
Post #1

President

Group: Individual Member
Member No.: 180
Chapter: Puget Sound
Expires: 12/31/2014

Are you up for a new caching challenge? Want to help create a GeoTour series for WA State Parks? Maybe win a shiny new geocoin? How about all three? [drum roll, please]

Announcing: the Washington State Parks Centennial GeoTour - "100 caches in 100 parks for 100 years"

2013 is the 100th anniversary of WA State Parks, and they've decided to make geocaching a key component of the year-long celebration by hosting a GeoTour. cool.gif As part of our new partnership with Washington State Parks, WSGA is co-hosting this GeoTour, which kicks off June 7, 2013, and will feature 100 new caches placed on State Park properties across the state, plus a bonus 50-cache challenge cache.

The caches are being placed and maintained by WSGA members in collaboration with park managers. Geocachers will seek out the caches and record their finds in paper passports, which they can turn in upon completion to receive a commemorative geocoin. There will be two challenge levels: 100 caches and 50 caches; participants may complete one or both challenges.

PhilNi is managing this cache series, just as he did the WSGA anniversary series. He'll work with cache owners and Rock Rabbit, our designated Groundspeak reviewer, to ensure all caches are completed, submitted, and approved for the June 7 launch date. We're also hosting eight kickoff events around the state on June 6-9.

Oh, and the geocoin? We're making 30 satin gold (all 100 caches) and 180 antique silver (50 caches). The coin will have the State Parks centennial logo on one side and the WSGA logo on the other, cementing our partnership. If you complete the entire cache series, you will qualify to get both a silver and a gold coin - but only one of each per family/household, and only while they last. We'll provide a glimpse of it once the design is complete.

This is WSGA's Big Project this year, and we hope you're as excited as the Board is, and will help Washington State Parks celebrate its centennial in geocaching style!

--------------------
Not all those who wander are lost.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pazooter
post Jan 29 2013, 09:54 AM
Post #2

Group: Family Member
Member No.: 662
Chapter: Cache-cadia

Hi Abby,
Team pazooter is ready and willing to place some caches. Please let us know how to see the list of parks that are participating.
Thank you. Cathy & Bruce

[email protected]

+Quote Post
Kevin Witt
post Jan 29 2013, 10:21 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,080
Chapter: Cache-cadia

Hi Abby kwitt82 I am willing to put cache in park. Please let me see the list of park that you are doing Thanks Kevin

[email protected]

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Jan 29 2013, 04:36 PM
Post #4

President

Thanks, y'all! We are still compiling the list of participating parks, but every state park is an option, esp. if there's a willing cacher, so if you have a favorite park or two, just let me know. First request for a park gets that park. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roxy and Phil
post Jan 29 2013, 09:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,133
Chapter: Olympic Peninsula

Hello, hydnsek and all.
We just moved up here from NorCal in March and we are loving the PNW. We are also eager to assist in participating in the upcoming Centennial GeoTour. We are living in Bremerton, so any Parks in this area would be great. Looking forward to getting more involved and meeting new friends.

Phil cool.gif

+Quote Post
Jinx
post Feb 2 2013, 11:45 PM
Post #6

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 819

Pazooter, Kevin, and Roxy/Phil - check your email! And thanks for partnering with our parks on this centennial geoproject!

- hydnsek [in disguise]

+Quote Post
TheWinterTrio
post Mar 10 2013, 11:15 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,296
Chapter: 48 North

Now that we have our Parks and PreFllight instructions, I have a question.... For the Non-Compliant caches, is there a deadline for those to be brought into compliance or archived? I'm just curious incase one of them is near a prime spot, it would be good to know before we start placing caches... I don't think it's a factor in my parks, but still curious just incase...

Thanks

-TWT/Stephen

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Mar 10 2013, 06:19 PM
Post #8

President

QUOTE (TheWinterTrio @ Mar 10 2013, 12:15 PM) *
Now that we have our Parks and PreFllight instructions, I have a question.... For the Non-Compliant caches, is there a deadline for those to be brought into compliance or archived? I'm just curious incase one of them is near a prime spot, it would be good to know before we start placing caches... I don't think it's a factor in my parks, but still curious just incase...

Thanks

-TWT/Stephen

Good question, and per the schedule in the Overview doc, the deadline is May 15. Since that date is after the deadline for GeoTour cache submissions, if you run into a problem with an existing cache, pls let me know ASAP so we can work it out. Our goal is compliance, not archival, so in general let's try to find spots that don't have proximity issues, unless your ranger has other ideas.

The State Parks and I mutually agreed we would pursue cache compliance issues after the huge initial push with the GeoTour - bandwidth, y'know. I have compiled a detailed list of noncompliant caches, so we have a start on it.

Notifying cache owners and working out the compliance issues will happen in the next couple of months. I'll be contacting some cachers to help with local issues (e.g., removal of any archived caches). In some areas, cache liaisons have been proactively contacting COs of noncompliant caches in their parks, and we've already had a few permits, adoptions, and archivals. Props to TheMcMorrows, rocketglider, PNWbrat, las3dogs, Rey del Roble, and Geek&Gopher, in particular.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Mar 10 2013, 10:26 PM
Post #9

President

Thanks to all of you, WSGA has completed the first stage of the marathon for the WA State Parks Centennial GeoTour: All caches, parks, and events are now assigned. Woohoo! Now we're moving forward to cache creation and event planning.

The stats:
- 105 GeoTour caches
- 2 challenge caches
- 67 cache owners
- 8 kickoff events

PhilNi (Phil) is now taking the reins as project manager for the geocache placements and listings.
Psykokiwi (Kelly) is now event coordinator for the eight kickoff events.
Rock Rabbit (Cathy) is our assigned reviewer for the GeoTour caches and cache-compliance issues.
NepoKama (Mitch) is the designer and manager for the joint geocoin.

Hydnsek (me) will continue as overall project manager. I am also managing the cache-compliance project. Plus, you'll be getting some stuff from me for your caches in the coming weeks - ink stamp, ID sticker, stash note - plus a page template. These will show up in early April (your deadline is May 1 for delivering the caches for review, so you have time.)

Ranger Tina (Tina) and Eric Watilo will continue as my partners on the WA State Parks side.

Lookin' great so far!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Salty Dogg
post Mar 16 2013, 06:45 PM
Post #10

Group: Membership Lapsed
Member No.: 2,172
Chapter: Southwest
Expires: 12/31/2013

Hello All,
I am have officially finally joined WSGA and am trying to catch up on this topic so . I live in Ilwaco, and was going to be contacting the local rangers about placing caches in nearby Leadbetter, Fort Columbia, and Loomis State Parks when I began reading about this series. I noticed that there are intentions for series caches at Cape "D" and Fort Columbia, and was curious if there have been any known inquiries about the other parks nearby. I plan to contact the local rangers soon about placing my own caches in the near future, but figred I may make some early headway here, and possibly add to the list you've already made if it isn't too late. Also I'd like to offer any help I can to the series effort in general. Thank you.

Adam

--------------------
Happy Caching!

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Mar 16 2013, 07:04 PM
Post #11

President

QUOTE (Salty Dogg @ Mar 16 2013, 07:45 PM) *
Hello All,
I am have officially finally joined WSGA and am trying to catch up on this topic so . I live in Ilwaco, and was going to be contacting the local rangers about placing caches in nearby Leadbetter, Fort Columbia, and Loomis State Parks when I began reading about this series. I noticed that there are intentions for series caches at Cape "D" and Fort Columbia, and was curious if there have been any known inquiries about the other parks nearby. I plan to contact the local rangers soon about placing my own caches in the near future, but figred I may make some early headway here, and possibly add to the list you've already made if it isn't too late. Also I'd like to offer any help I can to the series effort in general. Thank you.

Adam

Hi Adam!

Welcome to WSGA, and thanks for your generous offer to help with the GeoTour. All the GeoTour caches are accounted for at this point, but you might contact FluteFace, who owns the two that will be placed at Cape Disappointment and Fort Columbia, and see if she would like any help (now or with maintenance later), since she lives in North Puget Sound. Be sure to read the GeoTour Overview doc if you're interested, as it explains everything in detail.

This GeoTour only involves WA State Parks, and those on the parks list in the first post are the ones participating; the State Parks made the decision on which parks to include. For instance, Leadbetter Point was a 'no' per the State Parks. However, you can certainly contact them as a cacher and asked about placing a permitted cache under the revised guidelines (also linked in the first post).

County and city parks aren't part of this program, and most don't have a permit system, so you can work with them anytime.

Good luck, and look forward to meeting you at an event or cache soon!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Salty Dogg
post Mar 17 2013, 07:49 AM
Post #12

Group: Membership Lapsed
Member No.: 2,172
Chapter: Southwest
Expires: 12/31/2013

QUOTE (hydnsek @ Mar 16 2013, 08:04 PM) *
QUOTE (Salty Dogg @ Mar 16 2013, 07:45 PM) *
Hello All,

Adam

Hi Adam!

Welcome to WSGA, and thanks for your generous offer to help with the GeoTour. All the GeoTour caches are accounted for at this point, but you might contact FluteFace, who owns the two that will be placed at Cape Disappointment and Fort Columbia, and see if she would like any help (now or with maintenance later), since she lives in North Puget Sound. Be sure to read the GeoTour Overview doc if you're interested, as it explains everything in detail.

This GeoTour only involves WA State Parks, and those on the parks list in the first post are the ones participating; the State Parks made the decision on which parks to include. For instance, Leadbetter Point was a 'no' per the State Parks. However, you can certainly contact them as a cacher and asked about placing a permitted cache under the revised guidelines (also linked in the first post).

County and city parks aren't part of this program, and most don't have a permit system, so you can work with them anytime.

Good luck, and look forward to meeting you at an event or cache soon!

Thank you, that was exactly what I was hoping to find out so I didn't bother the rangers with questions that have already been asked about. I will certainly contact FluteFace and offer my assistance.

--------------------
Happy Caching!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 03:04 PM