hydnsek
post Nov 13 2010, 02:05 AM
Post #1

President

Group: Individual Member
Member No.: 180
Chapter: Puget Sound
Expires: 12/31/2014

At its October 2010 meeting, the WSGA Board voted to begin offering two types of Full Membership: Individual and Family.

The new Family Membership was created in response to member feedback, and to better match planning and finances with our demographics. In the past, Full Memberships were treated as if they were one person (hydnsek), but in fact, many are couples (lucyandrickie) or families (jcar). Many wanted additional name tags and other benefits (patches, pathtags), and the club needed a better way to allocate resources (for events, swag, chapters) based on our true numbers.

After gathering input from a cross-section of members around the state, we’re splitting our Full Membership into two options:
  • Individual Membership: $12. One person, identical to the current Full Membership. One name tag, one member bonus, etc. One vote.
  • Family Membership: $18. Two or more people under the same account, for less than the cost of two memberships. Name tags for each person (adult and child) - you list the names when you register/renew. For member bonuses or exclusive offers, it's double what an Individual account receives – e.g., two pathtags or patches. Some things will remain unchanged: If the WSGA coin limit is three, it will remain three. One vote.
  • Out-of-state members will continue to be Associate Members ($12), with all the benefits of Individual Members except voting rights.

All other member benefits - newsletter, discounts and exclusive versions of coins, discounts on the Summer Campout, etc. - will remain the same. (See our WSGA Benefits flyer (PDF file) for a description of all member benefits.)

Going forward, chapter allocations will be based on Family as well as Individual memberships, to better match resources with chapter sizes.

The new membership option is part of the Membership signup. Just select Family instead of Individual when you join/renew, and specify the additional (real) names under the account that should receive badges.

If you renewed as a Full/Individual member and would like to switch to Family, contact jcar to upgrade your account ($6 more). (We are doing it manually as it doesn't effect many people.)

Finally, if a group account chooses to renew as an Individual instead of Family account, that's up to you. We are not going to force you to switch, but families renewing as Individual will not receive family benefits.

So, what do you think of the new membership setup? Please let us know your feedback, questions, and suggestions.

--------------------
Not all those who wander are lost.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mc3cats
post Nov 13 2010, 08:05 AM
Post #2

Chapter Rep (Puget Sound)

Group: Family Member
Member No.: 530

I think this is an outstanding idea! The WSGA should be able to obtain additional membership funds for couples/family so that the club can offset event costs for members who do bring their families or significant others to the events. I sometimes bring McKitten to WSGA events. I will be converting my 2011 membership over to a family membership. The extra $6 is well worth the cost and it certainly wont break the bank! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Cache it Real
Mc3cats

+Quote Post
swaninwa
post Dec 2 2010, 12:01 PM
Post #3

Group: Membership Lapsed
Member No.: 195
Chapter: Olympic Peninsula
Expires: 12/31/2013

I don't want to sound dumb, but how do we pay the additional amount? I can't seem to get PayPal to let me change the $12 payment to an $18 one. Any recommendations?

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Dec 2 2010, 02:21 PM
Post #4

President

QUOTE (swaninwa @ Dec 2 2010, 12:01 PM) *
I don't want to sound dumb, but how do we pay the additional amount? I can't seem to get PayPal to let me change the $12 payment to an $18 one. Any recommendations?

I'm the dumb one. ohmy.gif When I made the announcement, I thought you could increase the amount paid, but I've now confirmed with our webmaster that this is not an option. My bad, and I've updated the announcement.

Pls renew as a Full Member, and we'll provide an upgrade option when the system is set up. The good news is, the new membership scenario should be live within a few days, so you'll be able to sign up directly as a Family account.

Update: if you've already renewed for 2011, contact jcar to upgrade your account ($6 extra).

--------------------

+Quote Post
hydnsek
post Dec 7 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #5

President

The new Family Membership option is live! biggrin.gif When you join/renew, you now select Individual, Family, or Associate on the account page.

If you choose Family, be sure to enter the names of the additional family members under the account (there's a text box on the form), so they can receive name tags too.

By default, all current members are still listed as Full (Individual) members. You can switch to Family when you renew, or if you've already renewed for 2011, contact jcar to upgrade your account ($6 extra).

Side note: As part of the dues changes, we revised July-December renewals to be handled similarly to new memberships. All memberships are on a calendar-year basis, starting Jan. 1 and expiring Dec. 31. Going forward, if a member waits until July or later to renew for the current year, they will be assessed dues for the following year as well (that is, paying for two years). So if you renew in October, you won't be in arrears again two months later. This will make things easier for bookkeeping as well as our members.

Let us know if you encounter any issues with the updated membership setup. Happy holidaze!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 11:58 PM